Pet Poison Prevention

This week marks Animal Poison Prevention Week – a time we all should be aware of the number of household items we have that could really do great harm to our furry four-legged family. It’s often these products around the house that are to blame for most pet-related poisonings.

The ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center receives hundreds of thousands of calls year over year for suspected pet poisonings. Their poison control experts even saw an exponential increase in call volume in 2021 due to at-home work and quarantining.


Around the House

So, what are these most common household goods? And, what are we doing to keep our pets safe from these harmful items?

  Medications: Our own medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen are the leading cause of pet-related poisonings. No, your pooch isn’t digging through your medicine cabinet (we hope!) but rather, these items are commonly found in purses and backpacks left at ground-level around your home! 

  Rodenticides: You may think you have the rat and mouse traps and poisons well hidden, but your doggo has a very strong sense of smell. Keep these poisons in highly inaccessible places for your pets or find other non-toxic methods for rodent removal. 

  Plants: Lilies, azaleas, rhododendrons, and poinsettias are just a few of the common household plants that can cause vomiting, seizures, diarrhea, and kidney failure. If possible, it’s wise to just not keep these plant species around to avoid curiosity turning into an emergency. 

  Household Products: We’re talking about any of those items you keep under your sink – cleaners, bleach, and disinfectants. You may even think those products are safely secured away from your pets, but what about when you use them? Are you making sure to put your pets out or away until your surfaces and floors are clean? These products can cause gastrointestinal and respiratory issues for your pets. 

  Chocolate: There are quite a few human foods that animals don’t have any business consuming, but the big no-no is chocolate. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate are especially toxic to dogs. Even a chocolate chip cookie could put a little canine in big trouble. Call us at AVC right away if your dog has eaten chocolate.



The Animal Poison Control Center has shared this infographic to give good visual representation of room-by-room breakdown around your home of potential locations of toxic items. Be sure to ask us at AVC for help if you have questions about any household products, or especially if you think your pet may have ingested something poisonous.

For Medical Services


Now Offering Boarding and Day Care